Just because you have decided to live a healthier lifestyle doesn’t mean you can’t eat out. When I first started to live a healthier lifestyle my first initial goal was to lose weight after having children so I have to admit I did avoid eating out so I could totally control my food intake BUT that doesn’t have to be the case. When eating out the key is to make healthier choices to keep you on track with your healthy lifestyle.
Here are some tips:
- Choose gluten free options if available i.e. if you are out having pizza and they have gluten free bases available chose a gluten free base.
- Choose tomato base sauces over the creamy ones.
- If you find yourself at an Italian restaurant with lots of pizza and pasta they will generally have other options including steak, chicken, veal etc. Choose a protein based meal with salad or vegetables and avoid the creamy based sauces.
- Go for grilled options rather than fried i.e. fish n chips.
- Swap the fries/chips and potatoes for vegetables and/or salad.
- If available choose brown rice over white rice, generally Japanese restaurants have this option with their sushi rolls. Don’t be fooled with Japanese by thinking it’s healthy, they generally load their sushi and sauces on meats with sugar. Choose fresh sashimi or soba noddles made from 100% buckwheat.
- Avoid soft drink, choose mineral water or plain water, and ask if you can get some fresh lemon or lime to add flavour.
- Try choosing rice or corn wraps over wheat based ones if available.
- Ask for sauces and dressings on the side so you can control how much goes on your meal.
- If you want to treat yourself and indulge on a not so healthy meal i.e. pizza or pasta limit your portion size. Choose an entrée size over main.
- These days portion sizes are generally supersized, don’t feel like you have to finish the entire plate. Listen to your body and take your time when eating, generally that full sensation doesn’t occur until after you stop eating.
Most importantly when you go out for dinner you are usually going for a special occasion or to catch up with family and friends so don’t obsess and limit yourself too much and enjoy!